Sunday 25 April 2010

Devon Nine Pins or Skittles for summer fetes or fun in the garden!





More trove from last week's shed clear out! I've been doing a bit of research on an old set of (what I always called) skittles. As you can see in the picture above, they are wooden, quite fat and have roughly turned bowling balls to go with them. There are nine in all, so they are 'nine pins' and one of the nine is much taller, 15" against 12" for the other eight. That's the 'king pin'.

I grew up in Worcestershire and recall that my Dad had a set of wooden skittles which were dusted off and brought out each summer for the church fete (held on the rectory lawn and grass tennis court). They also had an annual airing at the local flower show which was a highlight of the year. That lasted for two days and a scoreboard recorded the names and results with a prize (maybe a duck - to roam your garden or to go in the pot) after what might be an exciting final round!

I've done some research and it seems that this set is typical Devon Nine Pins or Skittles because of the sizes and fat shape.

They are for sale but I doubt if I have space for them in the shop. (£38 but must be collected from shop or home).

You can find out more about the history of the game at http://www.tradgames.org.uk/ as I did.



This picture is 'borrowed' from the website to show you how they might be set up:)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your comment - Yes it has been hard but my son is walking round like he has a weight lifted off his shoulders. Vicky has found a nice place to rent and Adam moves back on Saturday he went last night and helped her load up her Dads big landrover. She is a lot better than she was she is being vert brave and I admire her. We will go and her soon in her new place. I hope the vintage grey dressmakers dummy isnt on the tip pile!

    ReplyDelete